Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Book Review: "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"


There are so many books I could have chosen to post as my first review, including novels written by authors I have since come to call friends. But I had to go with one that was both controversial and incredible, and that had a big hand in the beginning of the "monster mash-up" genre.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is, in my mind, a great book. I loved it! I'm a big fan of zombie movies and stories and of Jane Austen, so mixing the two was an immediately intriguing concept to me. I wanted to see how in the world the author made the two work, if he could. I think it was brilliantly done. Seth took the original text and expertly wove in some scenery and backstory relating to the undead (called "dreadfuls" in the story) making P&P&Z true to Austen's tale as well as a story of his own.

The reason I said controversial before is because there are those "purists" out there who feel that Austen's work should never have been touched in such a manner. I heartily disagree -- even a classic story can stand a fresh telling (how many ways has the text been altered to remove the older style used by Austen for more more modern words, so that readers will "understand it easier"?). Also, this was hardly the first time someone had retold Jane's original story. There are countless variations and vagaries out there as to how Elizabeth Bennet met Fitzwilliam Darcy -- I'm working on one of my own, in fact.

Anyway, if you like Austen and you like zombies, I really think you will love this book. If I were to rate it, I would give it 5 of 5 stars.

The movie, however...


Personally, I was disappointed in the film, which I was so looking forward to the moment I heard it was coming. Great-looking actors (I do like Lily James as Elizabeth, Matt Smith as Mr. Collins, and Lena Headey as Lady Catherine) filled out the cast, but they changed so much from the story and threw in a sub-plot that was not in the book at all and... It sucked the first time I saw it, to own the truth. I just didn't like it at all and did not think I would ever watch it again.

However, I have actually watched it again, once only a couple of scenes and once, finally, in whole. I actually found myself liking it better the second time I saw the entire thing. It was easier to enjoy the silly, campy moments, though I cringed at that superfluous, ridiculous, unnecessary sub-plot that the writers threw in. 

I won't tell you not to watch it. Just remember that it's not going to be the same as the book, and try not to take it too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment