Wednesday, August 28, 2019

From Cover to Cover

When first I had decided to go forward with writing my own Jane Austen variation, I knew, of course, that I would need a cover for it. Naturally, I wanted a good one, with a picture that would stand out and grab the attention of passers-by should I have the good fortune of getting it on store shelves (a task not always achievable for an indie author such as myself).

After a long search for images, I found a wonderful picture of Trafalgar Park, the estate located in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England at which the exterior and interior scenes of Barton Park in the 1995 feature film of Sense and Sensibility (starring Emma Thompson and the late Alan Rickman) were filmed. I thought it a perfect background, given my first book is a variation of S&S. I then needed a model to represent the heroine of the story, Elinor Dashwood. Here is the result:


I used the same formula that many authors of the Regency genre have used for their covers -- it's a tried and true method, after all, of attracting readers. Those who enjoy these kinds of stories love to see a beautiful woman or handsome man (or both) standing in front of a beautiful backdrop of scenery or a handsomely furnished room. I did a great deal of work on this cover -- yes, I did it myself -- and I'm proud of how well it turned out. It's a gorgeous cover.

But some time ago, I got it in mind to change it. To do something different that would really stand out -- something that would set my series apart, at least a little. So I got to thinking and planning and, while the fonts used are the same, came up with this very different yet incredibly eye-catching (if I do say so myself, lol) cover:


If you have read the book already, you might recognize the ring. While doing research of the period, I also looked up many, many examples of Georgian-era jewelry. This particular ring became the inspiration for Elinor's wedding ring in the story. When I decided to put the ring on the cover, it led me to realizing how I could carry the theme throughout the series: each book cover will feature an item of some significance in the story itself.

So now The Correction of Folly has a new cover. I do hope you like it. It has also undergone some minor editing to correct what I hope are the very last of the errors pointed out to me by readers (the story itself is unchanged, I merely fixed some typographical mistakes). The book is presently only available at Amazon for Kindle and paperback, and may be borrowed for free for members of Kindle Unlimited. For Kindle customers, you may have to e-mail Amazon to push for the updated copy to be sent to your device, as auto-update does not always notify when the changes are not significant.

If you have previously purchased an e-book copy from another retailer, please e-mail me with proof of purchase and I will send you an .epub, .mobi, or .pdf file for your e-reader. If you have purchased a paperback copy and would like the updated version, e-mail me with proof of purchase and I will arrange for another copy to be mailed to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment