Friday, May 13, 2022

Sometimes, I shake my head.

As an author, we have to have -- or quickly develop -- a "thick skin" in regard to reviews. We have to accept that not everyone is going to like our work. And on the whole, it's better not to engage the unfavorable reviewers because defending yourself can damage a writer's reputation. I have a standing policy to do my utmost to avoid even reading negative reviews because of how depressing they can be to my creative drive.

But sometimes, I have to say, people say the most unbelievable things. For example, this 3-star rated review for Born to be a Heroine:

"It’s well written but boring. ODC does not get together until 90% in and there denials of admiration get boring. There is no angst but no romance either."

You thought the book was boring? I disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion. You thought there was no angst, no romance? Totally disagree, especially with the latter -- there were multiple romantic moments in this book (trust me, Darcy's comments to Elizabeth at the Netherfield ball, when they dance, are swoon-worthy!). The original P&P had fewer romantic moments than my novel, or at least no more than mine.

As to Darcy and Elizabeth not getting together until 90% in? True enough, but this person clearly forgets that Jane Austen did the same thing to them in the original novel. Pride and Prejudice has 61 chapters, and they didn't get engaged until chapter 58. My book has 26 chapters, and they decided to marry in chapter 25 -- roughly the same percentage.

Ah well. As they say, you can't please everyone.